...two years ago today I heard the news that my Grandpa Fry passed away. I miss him. I've been thinking about him all day today. He was a good man, who I loved very much.
I always loved that he worried! I felt bad that he worried, but it made me feel loved. He would worry about us driving home, or driving anywhere actually!! In fact, it's one of the last things he told me to "be careful going home". I think that in life we all need to 'be careful going home'. We are all going home someday. It's not what time we get there, or how, but the journey that we travel. I hope I can remember to be kind, to love, to laugh, to enjoy, and someday when my journey comes to an end, i'll get there safely. When I get home, i'll get to be with my Grandpa again...and i'm sure when I see him that he'll be worried about someone somewhere. I can't wait to see him again...and until then, I hope that I live worthy to be called his Granddaughter.
Here's a poem I wrote about Grandpa last year...
At his feet...by Tami Peterson
They called me to come, I hurried to go,
I knew it was happening, but I didn't want to know
You would soon be leaving us, of this I was sure,
I begged them to help you, but there was no cure
I told them I love you, they just said no,
It's going to be okay, it's his turn to go
But it's not fair! I cried through my tears,
What about all this time? These wasted years?
Go now and spend some time, you'll have to sit at his feet,
You can hold his hand, he loves you, he will not retreat
So enter I did, and sad was the sight,
I did not know if he would last through the night
I came to his side, and knelt on the ground,
His kind eyes looked on me, so big and so round
I told him of those things so close to my heart,
about families being forever, that we would never part
His lips turned up in a sad kind of smile,and he spoke to me for just a little while
So listen I did to his lessons as I sat,
things about life, and not just how to hold a baseball bat
I smiled as the tears rolled right down my cheek,
I laughed as I held his hand so fragile and weak
He spoke about time, and the wasting we do,
he told me to take care of his cute Grandkids, too
I kissed him as I told him goodbye and farewell,
the angels were near, of this I could tell
My friend he is, that will always stay the same,
and I'll think of him everytime I see a game,
My life has been changed,
and had nothing so sweet
as the time that I spent kneeling down AT HIS FEET.
I love you, Grandpa...and I miss you.
Friday, May 8, 2009
2 years ago...
Posted by
Matchbox Mom
at
12:33 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comments:
That is way sweet Tam!
Post a Comment