Monday, July 21, 2008

At his feet

At his feet...by Tami Peterson

They called me to come, I hurried to go,
I knew it was happening, but I didn't want to know
You would soon be leaving us, of this I was sure,
I begged them to help you, but there was no cure
I told them I love you, they just said no,
It's going to be okay, it's his turn to go
But it's not fair! I cried through my tears,
What about all this time? These wasted years?
Go now and spend some time, you'll have to sit at his feet,
You can hold his hand, he loves you, he will not retreat
So enter I did, and sad was the sight,
I did not know if he would last through the night
I came to his side, and knelt on the ground,
His kind eyes looked on me, so big and so round
I told him of those things so close to my heart,
about families being forever, that we would never part
His lips turned up in a sad kind of smile,
and he spoke to me for just a little while
So listen I did to his lessons as I sat,
things about life, and not just how to hold a baseball bat
I smiled as the tears rolled right down my cheek,
I laughed as I held his hand so fragile and weak
He spoke about time, and the wasting we do,
he told me to take care of his cute Grandkids, too
I kissed him as I told him goodbye and farewell,
the angels were near, of this I could tell
My friend he is, that will always stay the same,
and I'll think of him everytime I see a game,
My life has been changed, and had nothing so sweet
as the time that I spent kneeling down AT HIS FEET.


I love you, Grandpa...and I miss you.

6 comments:

Wendi said...

That's beautiful Tam!

Zoo Keeper Mom said...

Wow. What a beautiful and touching poem. I missed your grandpa by the end, as well. What a sweet relationship you too had (HAVE!) Just because he has disappeared over the horizon like a sailing ship, does not mean he, and your relationship, has come to an end. (Of course, you know this. I am just reminded of a poem that was read at a funeral I attended, that tells this analogy.)

I had no idea you had such a talent for writing!

I came to your blog today, to see what is current in your life before calling you on the phone. Since I may not catch you, I am calling to invite you to a SimplyFun game party at my place Wed July 30th. I hope you can come! Also, Matthew wants to know if he can go over to play with Josh tonight while his mom and dad go to the temple. :D Talk to you soon, I hope!

Thanks for keeping a blog that I love reading!

Bubba's Babe!! said...

I love it tam! its perfect!!

Grammy Staffy said...

What a sweet poem as a tribute to your grandfather. I know that you will really miss him but what a comfort that you are an eternal family. Families really are forever.

I am sorry for your loss. We are visiting here in Utah with our girls. I know that you are not too far away. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

KATE said...

That is precious!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

tear jerker. very good poem. Thanks for sharing your heart.