I've heard recently a lot of people that are saying...'i'm FINALLY proud to be an American..'
Does this upset anyone else? I hope they don't mean that they weren't proud before...because i've been proud to be an American since I was a little girl watching parades where the old soldiers walked down the street with the American flag. It brought tears to my eyes then, and still does now. I have been proud to be an American since the space shuttle Challenger blew up and all the American flags came out of homes and were displayed. I have been proud to be an American since I was little and said the pledge of allegiance with my classmates. I have been proud to be an American since I worked in the scouting program and was able to salute the flag with my boys. I have been proud to be an American since 9/11 when those towers fell and America came together to support eachother because if it's one thing we have in common, it's the fact that we are ALL AMERICANS. Despite our differences we are all brothers and sisters of the same God that gave us life, and we are all here on this blessed land to learn and grow together.
I am proud of America for wanting and needing equality in this last election, however it is not just the fact that we've elected the first African American president that makes me proud. I am glad that America has gotten passed prejudice, but it's the fact that I have lived here all my life, and i've always been proud to be an American where at least I know i'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me and I proudly stand up next to you and defend her still today. Because there ain't no doubt I love this land. GOD BLESS THE USA!
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Proud to be an American...
Posted by
Matchbox Mom
at
11:33 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




8 comments:
I love this post! Thanks for helping me feel the spirit of this great nation... God Bless the USA!!!
Tami...
After reading this a few hours ago.. I remembered hearing it in the middle of the night.. (Bart is out of town and I sleep with the TV on.) I got up for some cough syrup and there was an discussion on the TV about this very subject..
I look at it related to raising a Child.. When at 1 they learn how to walk.. you say how proud you are... When at 5 they color perfect.. you say how proud you are... When at 7 they ski the whole run without falling.. you say how proud you are.. When at 12 they choose the right.. You say how proud you are... When at 16 they pass their driving test.. you say how proud you are... When at 18 they graduate with honors.. you say how proud you are..
And then at 19 when your son says he wants to go on a mission.. or go to college.. or get married as my oldest did.. or go out and work hard.. or are just basically wonderful thoughtful people..
You say how proud you are...
We don't wait until the Child is an Adult to say how proud we are.... We say it all along the way.. with each Baby step.. with each Child step ... with each Teenage step... and with each Adult step... with each tiny obstacle they overcome.. We say it at all the Big Moments too.. We say it anytime they make a choice to do something good.... I remember one day as a young young girl.. My Father coming home with a Uniform on.. I remember thinking how wonderful he looked.. and I ran to him.. I think It must have been pride.. I remember as a young girl seeing my older Brother off to the service.. Him dressing in a uniform. I was so proud of him.. I remember always having a flag hanging on certain holidays I remember Bart's parents always having a flag hanging on certain holidays. We got one for a wedding present. we still fly that same flag... We have had it for 30 years.. You say it on the Journey.. Not just the Destination..
I have always been proud to be an American..
I hope what they are all meaning to say is... That they are just that much more proud to be an American.. and just worded it wrong.. :)
Amen! -Alana
Amen Sista! Great post. I am so dang proud to be an American. Thanks for the fabulous reminder.
Hey my daughter danced with her team to this song. This is how a heart breaks. I LOVE IT
Amen!!!
I love the way you lay it all out on the line. We need more people like you in this world!! You have such an amazing way of expressing yourself and I truly whish I had that quality. AMEN to every word you wrote in this post. I agree with you 100%! BTW- Dan does remember you. I showed him your blog and he said you looked very, very familiar:) I love your blog and your kids are soooo cute. See you tomorrow!!!
Amen-I too cry everytime I see a solider carrying the flag in a parade or stand for the Star Bangled banner reguardless of where I am. Everytime I hear a jet fly over head (daily) I am very proud to be an American and I am glad for the freedoms I have for me and my family.
THANK YOU TAMI, What an awesome post! I feel the same way. Some people think I'm weird for being a patriotic person. I figure they must not understand how blessed they are to live in America. Thanks for writing this. I love it!!!
Post a Comment