Thursday, September 13, 2007

Aches and Growing Pains




These babies were hard to bring to this earth. I have a condition called hyperemesis. Which basically means that I vomit until i'm dehydrated. I know, gross. That was my life for 9 months each time I was pregnant. I thought for sure that it would get easier each time I had a baby. I was wrong. When I was pregnant with JT I was admitted to the hospital where my doctor told me that if I would have gone another day in that condition, I probably would have lost the baby and my own life. I spent many days on the couch at home teathered to an IV pole. When he finally made it here to Earth, I was so happy. My doctor informed me that it probably wasn't a good idea to have any more babies. Six weeks later, I had a tubal ligation. That was the hardest decision of my life so far. I love my kids, and I always felt like there was going to be more than 3. Well, I guess I was wrong. My baby is going to be a year old in 8 days. He's walking all over the place. He seems more like a toddler now than a baby. It's been really tough for me to let him grow up. I love these three little monsters! They are my whole life. I get confirmations about once a month that I did the right thing. I really wanted another baby, but life isn't giving me that option anymore. I'm in the retired Mom's club. I am going to miss having binki's all over the house, along with onsies and little socks. I'm going to miss having to wash bottles at night, and nursing. I'm going to miss burp rags, and the baby swing. I'll miss the attention a Mom gets when a new baby is born. Call me crazy, but i'm going to miss diapers and the sweet smell of baby wipes, at least I get to have those for a couple more years. I guess i'll just rely on my siblings to share their babies with me until this ache in my heart goes away. I hope it does. Man, it hurts.

20 comments:

Cecily R said...

I'm so sorry about your rough pregnancies! Makes me feel very guilty about how much I hate being pregnant because mostly I'm just a super pregnancy wuss.

We're done with three too. Right now, since Evie is only 4 months I'm great with that, but as she starts passing milestones and I realize it's the last time I'll see that milestone in my own children, I'll feel those pangs.

Just think though, about all those milestones that are ahead for us both!

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Your first sentence hit me hard.

Your last sentence hit me even harder.

Wow.

I totally, totally, TOTALLY know how you're feeling. Today, I watched a new neighbor's eight-WEEK-old baby. I sniffed him up and down, touched his little tootsies and made crazy faces and sounds. How is it possible to fall in love with a baby who's not even yours.

And you're not in a retired mom club... you're still a mom, you'll always be a mom, you've just moved up the ladder to another level of momhood, and there's much to look forward to, so don't be bummed!

Hugs!

Matchbox Mom said...

I feel better just blogging about my trials! haha! I should just be grateful that I was given 3 beautiful children instead of complaining. Somedays it's hard to do that tho. Today was hard because I watched my baby walking all over the house, talking to himself, looking for his ball. It's true that I still have a lot of life to live though, and I can't wait!

Wendi said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. It's fun making new friends! You're welcome anytime. I have a cousin named Tammy that lives in Ogden. Funny, huh!

I can very much relate with your post. I LOVE everything about being pregnant. I get a little sick, but not enough that I don't forget all about it as soon as the baby is born. I have easy deliveries, and I love the whole hospital experience. Your post makes me totally baby hungry! My husband is going to be very mad at you! j/k

crystal said...

I'm so excited to have a bloggie friend! (Thanks for the comment on my blog.) I totally am with you on knowing you're going to miss the baby years. Sniff. You really expressed the feelings well.

Crazymamaof6 said...

oh you made ma a tad teary! and i am sorry you feel sad. i can imagine how hard that decision was. and now having your baby almost one. my baby growing up makes me so sad too! you aren't in the retired moms club though , you are in the lucky enough to not have to prevent anymore club! that would be pretty great! I get super sick but not enough for meds or IV. and just think no more all nighters with a colicky baby! you can sleep though the night again and just enjoy the toddler/kids stage. and just give extra great gifts to the sibling having new babies. i am fine with not having more if i can go ahead and still shop for babies!

Supercool Mom said...

I know how hard it is. I almost lost my last baby, the one before her was close and although I'd love, love, love to have another one I don't know if my body can handle it, or if my spirit could handle it, if I lost one. I'm praying to know if I should try again or not.

In the meantime we can enjoy every moment with the babies we have, and remind them that they will always be your babies (even when they're 6'2").

Have you read, I Love You Forever - it will have you bawling, but you and your babies will love it.

Lindsay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsay said...

Look at all your new blog friends! How fun. The only people that read mine is you and my mom.. ha. I love your kids and I cannot believe that Jaden is almost 1, I remember the day he was born. Crazy how fast time flies!

Heather S. said...

dancin queen is my sister, I saw your comment on her blog and linked over. I'm sorry to hear about your trials. That's so hard. There's always the option of adoption. I have a little guy that just turned 1 year old too.

Matchbox Mom said...

I cannot believe that Jaden is going to be a year old! It goes by so fast. I just can't believe it! I can't get over it! I just love my babies.

Cecily R said...

Hey, I just realized you're from Ogden. I'm in North Ogden! How crazy is that? Blogging is so super cool!

Cecily R said...

I love North Ogden--its a great little city, and I love my kids' school. We lived in Ogden for a long time before we moved here.

There's a Linquist's right by us, but I assume that's not the one you're at since it's over the Odgen/North Ogden border.

We should get together at McDonlad's (the North Ogden one, not the Ogden one--too dirty)! E-mail me! goodnightgracie2@yahoo.com

xo

KATE said...

I'm so sorry! I totally understand horrible pregnancies!! I wasn't that terrible. I get sick & usually have to have IV treatments, but NOTHING like you! I'm so sorry. I also go into labor at about 25 weeks, so I do the bedrest thing! This last baby I did 11 weeks on bedrest. It's NO fun! My husband did the permanent thing at our house. It's a tuff decision!
You're family is gorgeous! & of COURSE you can be part of the "family" ha ha.
You're not in the retired mom's club! There is so much to be enjoyed about the kids getting older. It will be fun!! It's tuff to pass the tiny stage I know, but you'll enjoy the other stuff too! I promise!!
What part of Utah?
- Kate

KATE said...

Okay I'm a retard & just read the other comments & see you're in Ogden. Fun, I'm in Cedar Hills. We'll have to get together with Cecily!! How fun!
- Kate

Jenn's finding life funny! said...

Tami,
First off Thanks for visiting my blog page. Second, I have 5 kids and my youngest is 3. It is so hard sometimes to think I don't have a baby anymore. I cannot imagine how you must feel, because your choice to have more was somewhat taken away. On the upside, you will be able to give your 3 "monsters" extra time and attention (and your hubby aswell, which is just as important.) I think you are right just blogging it, helps take the sting away somewhat.
Sending you Lots of hugs!

Rachel said...

Sometimes it is so hard to accept the things life throws at us. I have had really hard pregnancies each time. Right now I am pregnant with my third and am having a horrible time with friends and family telling me I should have tied my tubes. It's such a hard decision though and a very personal one. I'm hoping I just feel done at some point but I know the last one is going to be hard to let go of.

Steph said...

I'm so sorry. I cried for you. I dread the day that I am 'done' having kids. I have realatively good pregnancys and I would have 10 kids if my hubby would let me...sadly I think the next one will be the last and I'm soooooooo not looking forward to it! Luckily it's a couple of years away yet.
Thanks for commenting on my blog!
Steph

Dawn said...

First off - You barfed for 18 months?!?!?! Oh you poor, poor, poor thing! I cannot imagine!
And although I've got 6 kiddos and would surely be in a straight jacket if I had any more, it makes me sad to know I'm done too. I totally understand. :(

Dawn said...

Did I really just write that you barfed for 18 months? You know - because 3 X 9 = 18. @@ Guess I won't be helping the kids with their math homework this year.