Thursday, February 28, 2008

Sarah Jane Van Komen 1981-1997


11 years ago today my friend Sarah was killed in a car accident. We got to school in the morning, and she said she was going to skip 1st period. I told her once again that she shouldn't skip class anymore because she was going to get caught for sure. I had already caught her hiding in the seminary bathroom the week before. She was avoiding a math test. She didn't listen and left to a restaurant anyway. She and 4 other friends drove to Layton and ate Breakfast. Upon leaving, they were broadsided by a semi truck. She and a girl named Jenny Barney were killed instantly. Gone. I didn't get to say good bye. I didn't get to tell her how much I cared for her. I didn't get to laugh with her anymore. Gone. All gone.
An hour later, I heard the news and fell to my knees. I begged my Heavenly Father to let it not be true. I begged him to give us just one more time together, one more game of Monopoly, one more night writing stories, one more...but that was not to be.
The years have gone on, and i've grown up. I often wonder who she would be today. Would she have more kids than me? Would she still put her tithing money under the Monopoly board? Would she still giggle with that infectious laugh that turned every head in the room? Though I know that she is busy on the other side of the veil, I still feel that she checks in on me from time to time.

If she were to read this today, this is what I would say to her:

Sarah,
Thank you for the time we spent together. The time that we had, I will never forget. Thank you for your example. Thank you for telling me to go home and put on my PJS (prayer, journal and scriptures). Thank you for making me laugh at your stories, and thank you for helping me through the most devistating time of my life. I love you. I will never forget you. You will always be my Sarah Janie Jane. Thank you for being with me in times of sorrow, and times of happiness. You might be gone from sight, but I know you are here, watching over me and my family. You will always be in my heart.
Love Always,
Tami Lyn

The picture above was drawn by Jean Keaton. She drew that picture from Sarah's picture. It is actually called 'The Sarah Jane'. I love that picture. There is also a children's book that her Mom, Janie Van Komen has written called 'Sarah Jane's very best story ever'. It is a story about the plan of salvation. I love this book, and often read it to my children. It is illustrated by Jean Keaton,

It's a very good book. It reminds me that I need to keep an eternal perspective and remember that We can be together forever someday...



Sarah Jane Van Komen 1981-1997
Together Forever Someday

14 comments:

Wendi said...

What a sweet tribute to a dear friend. That's great that you blogged about it so you have a record of your feelings.

Cecily R said...

I'm sure she loves knowing that you still think of her and wonder about her! What a beautiful tribute to your friend!

One of my best friends was killed in a car accident when I was in high school and I wonder the same things about her. How would she be as a grown woman? Would we stay in touch? I hope so. I think about her a lot.

bestofthebishops said...

this post made me cry. what a wonderful tribute to her. she will love it--i am sure. sorry for your loss. i lost a friend in college. we had been friends since elementary. i always think about her too and her family. friends make such big impacts on our lives and who we are. thanks for sharing this incredible story.
love ya!

Laurie said...

Beautiful post. It made me cry. My youngest brother died in a car crash when he was just 17, so I know the pain and devastation that comes from losing someone so suddenly- especially when they are so young. I love the pictures- beautiful!

KATE said...

Wow, remember that disclaimer thing...well this one needs it too!
I'm sorry you lost your sweet friend! What a precious post for her.
We need to get together, too many things about our lives mirror each other. It's almost eerie, just like with Cecily!! Lets get that scheduled!!!!

crystal said...

Wow, Tami. What a loving friend you are. I'd like to find that book; it looks so sweet.

Desiree said...

What a sweet way to remember your friend.

Crazymamaof6 said...

sos so sad! what a sweet friend. and fabulous picture and book. can you get that somewhere special? I'd love to get it.
and my grandma's name was Sarah Jane, and my sister, tons of cousins and a niece. all Sarah Jane.

hugs for you. good journal post.

Anonymous said...

I am Sarah Jane’s brother and I accidentally came across your blog today. I don’t know you, as I am much older than Sarah was and was not involved in her life as much as I should have been. Thank you for the nice words. This time of year I miss her most and it was a nice twist of fate to find your blog at this time. Trust me I know she checks in on those who love her often.

raising4boys said...

What a touching story, thanks for sharing. We have that picture of Christ and the little girl in our home and now I know the story behind it. Sorry for the loss of your friend, sad to have her gone so young.

Michelle said...

that sound like a great book. I want to find it.

That was beautiful to read.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

What a beautiful tribute post to your friend. How hard that must have been for you to loose her. I can only begin to comprehend what that must have been like... When I was a freshman 4 girls were in a car wreck one was killed. She was was loved by all and even though she was not a member, they held the funeral at the LDS church because it is the largest church in the town. I love that drawing and the others by her. Thank you for sharing the history. This book sounds very good.

SuperCoolMom said...

I'm thinking that the fact that her brother happened to find your blog is evidence that she checks in with the people she loves. I'm sure she reads your blog and checks up on you and your family when she has a minute to spare!

Julie Johnson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.